Title IX at PTAA -AZ
Title IX at PTAA-AZ
Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 and the Title IX regulations prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex, including gender-based and sexual harassment discrimination, in the PTAA-AZ’s educational programs and activities, including employment. The PTAA-AZ is committed to maintaining an educational and working environment free from sex discrimination and harassment and encourages any student or employee who believes they have been subjected to discrimination on the basis of sex, whether by students or by PTAA-AZ employees, to utilize this procedure.
· Federal civil rights law passed as part of the Education Amendment Act of 1972.
· This law protects individuals from discrimination based on sex in education programs or activities that receive Federal financial assistance.
· Under Title IX, “No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance.”
· Title IX applies to any institution receiving federal financial assistance from the Department of Education, including state and local educational agencies.
· Educational programs and activities that receive federal funds from the Department of Education must operate in a nondiscriminatory manner.
· A recipient may not retaliate against any person for opposing an unlawful educational practice or policy or because a person made charges, testified, or participated in any complaint action under Title IX.
Sexual harassment, under Title IX, is conduct on the basis of sex that is one or more of the following:
· A school employee conditions the provision of aid, benefit, or service of the school on an individual’s participation in unwelcome sexual conduct;
· Unwelcome conduct that a reasonable person would find to be so severe, pervasive, and objectively offensive that it “effectively denies a person equal access” to the school’s education program or activity; or
· Sexual assault, dating violence, domestic violence, or stalking.
Contact Information for PTAA-AZ's Title IX Coordinators:
Title IX Student Coordinator- Abel Perales
Title IX Staff Coordinator- Mrs. Angela West
1903 E. Roeser Rd
Phoenix, AZ 85040